Got MY TOKAI .... LP DC LOVE ROCK JUNIOR, tv yellow!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECHOTRAVELER

Reaction score
hey guys!! i got my tokai today..

its a TV YELLOW Double Cut LOVE ROCK!!! the JUNIOR! made in JAPAN

i love it, as said earlier the guitar resonates acoustically a lot...the pickup
seems ok i think, but ive only used it 10 minutes, and its my first p-90

the guitar came pretty well setup from the factory

now to construction:

it seems very solid, no issues on the finish, the tailpice is a wraparound,
inntonates the whole lenght, no dead spots, nice frets, the rosewood on
the fretboard seems a little discolored..i am going to oil it so it looks
darker, the neck is chunky in a very confortable way, the weigth feels
nice, 8.20 lbs

the body is made out of 2 slabs...well its almost 1, the whole body except
1.50 inches are one piece, very nice set neck?..beautifull color!! hurray
for tokai

what else...tortoise guard, 2 POTS, vintage style tuners (im not sure how
good they are, but look good)

ill review periodically.......and tommorow it will prove its worth on band
practice...lets see how the pickup performs on the baby..

every single person that has seen it, has said how beautifull it looks....

here are the pics

here is a comparison photo, for visual sake, so you can have more
variables on how the color has been processed digitally.... the fender is
INCA sylver, its more flaky than it seems on photo...

DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1541.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1553.jpg

ECHOTRAVELER said:
the body is made out of 2 slabs...well its almost 1, the whole body except 1.50 inches are one piece, very nice set neck?
I would think that it's made of three pieces or maybe four, as you can see in the picture of the side where there's a clear interruption in the graining. But the important thing is that it nevertheless resonates well. :)

hans-j?rgen

I would think that it's made of three pieces or maybe four

That Hans-Jurgen has got eyes like a Bavarian Eagle :wink:

Gorgeous looking guitar though ECHOTRAVELER

Well done in sourcing one.

Would be cool if the registry had a section with guide MP3 tones of all the guitars - Is that possible Ned ? :-?

Echotraveller,

You didn't happen to get that from Scott H. did you? My Jr.'s serial # is only is only eight away from yours. :)

Jim

P.S. When you have a sec can you measure the DC reistance of your P90? I'm curious to see if yours is as weak as mine...

Jim Jones said:
Echotraveller,

You didn't happen to get that from Scott H. did you? My Jr.'s serial # is only is only eight away from yours. :)

Jim

P.S. When you have a sec can you measure the DC reistance of your P90? I'm curious to see if yours is as weak as mine...

yep i did get it thru scott...and i bet out guitars are brothers... 8) ...how do i know the year of construction??

i will try to mesure the pickup, yet i dont know how..........i had no problem in band practice with the sound of the pickup...but it is my first p-90... loved the sounds and how easy the guitar feels...

it seems many guitars are dificult to get used to ...but the junior seems very easy to get used to...the other guitarist loves it too.....and it looks so fucking strange!~

hans-j?rgen said:
ECHOTRAVELER said:
the body is made out of 2 slabs...well its almost 1, the whole body except 1.50 inches are one piece, very nice set neck?
I would think that it's made of three pieces or maybe four, as you can see in the picture of the side where there's a clear interruption in the graining. But the important thing is that it nevertheless resonates well. :)

wow ...good eye man!...its 3 piece i just looked very very firmly and to to see the grain change......

i would guess i dont really need to bother....i think my mia strat has 3 pieces on the body...with time i can see a fine discrepancy, you have to look very very very atentively to notice, on the paint..

im not such a nutjob about how many pieces you got...

For what it's worth, your rosewood looks fine to me. I've seen lots of "streak" rosewood like that (as well as more uniform color), just the nature of the wood. I actually like the difference, myself.

magentaplacenta said:
For what it's worth, your rosewood looks fine to me. I've seen lots of "streak" rosewood like that (as well as more uniform color), just the nature of the wood. I actually like the difference, myself.

i think i should edit it a little...i took the pictures after using something called "REVIVE" its an oild that many here in PR use for really expensive pieces of furniture that are made of precious woods....gives is a nice color,blends right in the the glossyed rosewood of the sides....but i need to apply it again in the rigthmost parts, just a tiny bit more ....i like a lot now...it seemed too dry when i got it...

chrisheyes said:
That Hans-Jurgen has got eyes like a Bavarian Eagle :wink:
Yeah, right, with spectacles on... ;) But I might have an advantage because of my rather new 19" TFT display which is also responsible for me reading way too many web forums... And by the way, it's "northern sea-eagle", not Bavarian - if at all... ;)

Would be cool if the registry had a section with guide MP3 tones of all the guitars - Is that possible Ned ? :-?
I would guess not, because he doesn't have enough web space and traffic for all pictures already. But a sound catalog of different Tokais is a good idea nevertheless.

Echotraveller,

My fingerboard was quite dry when I got mine, too. I just use a couple blobs of 3-in1 oil at a couple points along the fingerboard and rub it in, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I'm in the prairies and it can get pretty dry out here so I do that to all my guitars every couple string changes.

Yep, I imagine both our guitars hung at at Scott's place together as well as came off the line at the same time. :) They were made in 2003, that's the 03 at the start of the serial number.

I found the stock pickup to sound great clean but there just isn't enough "oomph" for Leslie West tones. I bought a P90 from Jason Lollar and couldn't be happier - it sounds fantastic. Actually I'm in the process of rewinding my first pickup and I'm going to see if I can beef up that Tokai P90. I'll let you know how it goes if you like.

Take care,

Jim

how can you tell if a fingerboard is dry? I got an 03 Tokai as well, but i havent put any oil on it yet.

math2014 said:
how can you tell if a fingerboard is dry? I got an 03 Tokai as well, but i havent put any oil on it yet.

well mine just like pale, seem dray..like a white brown kind of thing......

i was sondering....does the serial number mean that the guitar is from 2003 and is 81 off the line???

i wonder how many they built....

Back