• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For sale: Early 1968 Les Paul "Players guitar"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score
(Early attempt by Gibson to make guitars of a quality to rival that of superb laterday Japanese craftsmen).

ex.Goldtop with Small Headstock with later '70 Gibson hardshell case.
This is NOT a collectors piece, it has issues and is valued accordingly.
Would consider higher end vintage Tokai etc. in P/ex.

A beautiful 'Plaintop' with '50's mojo', originally a Goldtop of course, finish to top removed many years ago and thin clear nitro laquered (lovely patina and grain), all other finish is original. One piece body, one piece neck and 2 piece maple cap. Modded to Humbuckers as was the fate of many of these in the 70's. A totally 'sound' and playable vintage Les Paul with THE 'classic' looks and vintage tone (think Kossoff/Moore) - you just can't beat this old wood stock.

I bought this on eBay in 2005, it had suffered a neck break (fracture) when the then US owner sent it to RS Guitarworks for some upgrade work - it arrived at RS with the neck fractured in transit. RS repaired the break, but the owner decided to sell it on, probably having lost heart in the project. I confirmed this story myself with the guys at RS Guitarworks at that time. The repair was minimal, just an honest glued repair (no refinishing). OK it had lost some value - but it meant I could afford it! To be honest it is perfectly stable, I've gigged it many, many times over the years with no problems - it stays in tune.

Serial No. 519***
Originally fitted with P90s, pickups are now old Gibson Pat No. 2.737.842 Zebras - stunning! Pickguard is the original '68, cut to accommodate the H/Buckers. Other plastics, covers etc. are original apart from the jack socket plate.
Bridge is a naturally reliced TonePros Tunomatic. Stop bar is lightweight with heavy wear. Tuners are very early and rare Grover Pat. Applied for, in worn gold, look like they have been on there for ever, probably upgraded when the guitar was fairly new. All pots date to 25th week of 1967 - 1376725, all matching.

Neck is big but not huge, extremely comfortable to play. Been refretted a couple of times I guess, bindings are still intact even though some fool cut the frets into them.
Weight is 9lb 11.5oz (lighter than most of that period) on digital scales.
Everything works as it should and it plays very well indeed, obvious wear from 40+ years of playing, but great 'vibe'.

I'm putting what I consider to be a very realistic value of ?3,750 with all things considered

If interested please contact me for further info and/or pix

68LPPTbdy.jpg
[/b]

I like! Great affordable vintage player LP there (same vintage as myself - gulp)!! Unfortunately the asking price is beyond my reach...

Back