• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale: 1983 Tokai LS-60 flametop USA

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reborn Old

Reaction score
1983 Tokai Love Rock LS flametop, made in Japan, $1245 obo + shipping

Description:
There is a 60 label on the back of the headstock which denotes an LS-60 model. The serial number is 301XXXX which denotes a 1983 model.

The guitar finish should be polyester on an LS-60 model. It was not tested for finish type. The neck is straight. There are no cracks or undisclosed (hidden) damage. Pickups sound great.

Features:
1-Arguably one of the nicer LS-60 flametops you will find with a fine vertical cross grain, typically found on LS-80 and higher models.
Maple veneer and cap, (not like the symmetrical looking Sycamore flametops found on 1984 and later Tokai flametop models.)

2-Violin Finish (VF in pickup cavity) found on LS-100 and higher models (according to Tokai specs) and a very rare color on vintage pre 1986 Tokai guitars. I have personally found only 4 VF's out of several hundred 1979 to 1985 Tokai LS series guitars I've looked at over the years. Color varies between red and antique yellow to violin brown and honey gold in color depending on lighting conditions.

3- '57 PAF zebra pickups found on LS-80 + LS-100 models until 1984.
Dimarzio's were available on LS-120 and higher models + and MKII's were available on LS-50 and LS-60 models up to 1984.

4-The headstock angle is 18* like on LS-80 and higher models , not the 14* angle found on LS-50 and LS-60 models.

5-The neck has a medium tenon and a medium profile, not thick or thin (59 neck).

6-Weight is 8.9 pounds or 4.04kg on my Toledo scale.

7-This Tokai is completely original with the exception of a bell shaped Gibson style truss rod cover.

8-Electronics have not been tampered with or changed.

9-The guitar has been recently set up by a skilled luthier who has done work for Bryan Adams, Metallica, INXS, Randy Backman, and Sarah McLachlan to name a few.

Cosmetics:
There are a few dinks about the guitar, mostly along back edges that are all very small and do not affect the finish.There are a few tiny dinks on the back but there are NO long scratches or deep buckle rash, only 2 quarter sized very light surface mark areas that are on the back finish coat only. There are two tiny dinks on the back of the neck that are shallow and cannot be felt, and do not affect play or finish appearance. The headstock has dinks at both back corners and along the top back open book edge. The only notable guitar damage is a dent that was filled, about 1/2 inch in size and improperly matched (on the side of the guitar body below the control cavity as shown in pics #4 + #9). This could easily be rendered invisible by a luthier or wood refinishing shop.

Overall, I would rate this 27 year old Tokai an 8.5 or 9 out of a possible 10.
The hard guitar case shown in 2nd pic is not included in the auction.
I have tried to accurately describe this guitar and will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Pics are posted at the MLP forum:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/117900-sale-1983-tokai-ls-60-flametop.html

While no production number records exist for Tokai guitars, 1982 and 1983 are probably the rarest production years for Love Rock models . Tokai was facing poor overall sales and a cool reception for it's new Tokai Talbo model between 1982 and 1984. This may explain why this LS-60 received hardware and finish upgrades, but only Tokai knows for sure.

Overseas buyers pay actual shipping costs. Any shipping overpayment will be refunded. Buyer is responsible for, and should be aware of, possible duties, tarrifs or taxes for import to your country prior to bidding. Due to high shipping costs, there are no refunds or returns under any circumstances.
I will work with the buyer to resolve issues, but there shouldn't be any problems.

North American shipping will be by the buyer's preferred method but USPS Express or Priority is recommended. The guitar will be carefully double boxed, styrofoam padded and contents imobilized for shipment to ensure damage free shipment.

Back