Fender Japan Jeff Beck Tele-gib

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Been late in putting this up but here it is:

2010 Tele Gib..... special order thru my pal Joe Yoshida who searched tirelessly for me to locate one of these - made at the Dyna Gakki factory. Big thanks to Joe.

SPECS:

TL52 HH OWB

BODY: ASH
NECK: MAPLE OVAL TYPE, 324 SCALE
FRETBOARD: MAPLE ONE PIECE, 184R, 21F
NUT WIDTH: 42mm
PICKUPS: HUMBUCKER(DRAGSTAR) X 2
CONTROLS & SWITCH: 1VOL, 1TONE, 3WAY SW
BRIDGE: 3SECTION T6 CHROME SADDLE
PICKUPS: HUMBUCKER------(DRAGSTAR) X 2

Weight on it is about 9 lbs. On the heavy side for a Tele but it feels good. Nice neck profile.... not too skinny, not too fat.

The Dragstar pickups are Fender's brand and they sound fantastic. Thought about swapping them out but I'm going to play it for awhile first.

The thing I am changing out are the small 250K Tele pots for 500K humbucker pots.

Tone is really cool.... very Gibson like but also unique - probably due in part to the string thru body.

Two piece body but really well matched. Poly finish. Here are a few pics:

025.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

035.jpg

032.jpg

DSC_00361.jpg

DSC_00381.jpg

DSC_00351.jpg

A-ha! I've been wondering what was happening with the TeleGib!

Glad to hear you're liking the tone, and it looks great too.
There was a Bacchus version sold recently but it was in a kind of brown burst that didn't look as good as yours! :D

When I finally get a Tele it will have a minimum of one humbucker, even if I have to modify it myself.

LOL... thanks brother. The only other ones I've ever seen were from Greco years ago and Edwards. They never show up.

Always wanted one after reading Seymour Duncan's story about building Jeff Beck's..... although, he started with a 52 Tele.

"The thing I am changing out are the small 250K Tele pots for 500K humbucker pots. "

Suggestion..

Get some concentric pots so you can blend/balance on the p/ups. They don't detract from the look, and give you a lot more flexibility.

Nice guitar Marcus. I prefer yours to the Edwards equivalent as I'm not a fan of relics.

I think one day we're going to have to organise a Tokai Forum convention and just hold it at your place... there'd be plenty of guitars to go around!

Mick51 said:
"The thing I am changing out are the small 250K Tele pots for 500K humbucker pots. "

Suggestion..

Get some concentric pots so you can blend/balance on the p/ups. They don't detract from the look, and give you a lot more flexibility.

Tell me about concentric pots

youami said:
Nice guitar Marcus. I prefer yours to the Edwards equivalent as I'm not a fan of relics.

I think one day we're going to have to organise a Tokai Forum convention and just hold it at your place... there'd be plenty of guitars to go around!

Thanks..... I REALLY am going to start thinning out the herd. Doesn't make sense to have non vintage guitars that you don't play. Just sold my blonde Tokai Tele and my 56 Tokai Goldtop is gone pending final payment.

No big secret, actually. Didn't want to bore the rest of the forum.

Concentric pots are available from many suppliers.
Basically, they are two independent pots on a single shaft and collar.
The shaft spins one pot; the collar spins the other.
There are some nice, knurled knob sets that, when installed, don't look much different from the regular controls. But, you have volume and tone adjustments on each control.

Put a pair in my G&L ASAT Deluxe some years ago. Pretty slick, and it doesn't mess up the lines of the guitar.

Look at this page from WD Music, about halfway down..

http://www.wdmusic.com/potentiometers.html

Back