Can anyone identify this body

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenwater23

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

does anyone know what body this is - there is a stamp 3=1 Y S X? 3 Tone Sunburst.

Also seller claimes that the neck pocket holes have been filled and redrilled to fit modern Fender Necks - are Tokai neck holes spaced differently in general?
Further, tremolo screw spacing was 56mm or something else?

Thanks!

tokai.jpg

this should be the neck that came with it

neck.jpg

neck2.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a Springy. Not sure what he was talking about re: holes filled. I don’t see that in those limited pics. There is a counterbore typically when they drilled for the neck bolts. Looks normal in that pic but I can’t see the other side.

Obviously the headstock was broken. First time I’ve seen that on a Springy.

The first number on the body and on the neck, 3 and 8, is the month produced. These are separated by five months so this may be a partscaster.

And we can’t tell what model it is without the pickups or doing an acetone test.

Just not enough info here. Really should have provided a lot more pictures given what he’s trying to sell.

@Sigmania thanks
Neck was sold - according to the description the owner was SRV fan and wanted to get the look of a broken headstock

Body is sub 1,5kg which seems uber light (there was a pics with the body on a scale) - I am interested in it because I would like to try a sen wood body but to me this looks like alder

there are some more pictures

s-l1600.pngs-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1
I have a tough time telling sen from alder with some grains. This one seems like it could go either way.

Looks like it’s in good shape. Two piece center seam.

Too bad about the relic’ing on the headstock. Is it a V or U neck?

since the neck was already sold I don’t know about the neck shape.
Perhaps the rounded grain pattern in the belly cut might be a clue?

It's so hard to tell on that one.

Tokai typically used sen for unpainted bodies, but not always.

Here is my 1979 ST100GS that is definitely sen.

IMG_9870.JPG

Here is the one you are looking at.

14746-45fe3e4bc62f6a4bdb55774573c9198d.jpg

Looks like Sen to me.There is a sort of 3D quality to the grain, a kind of chatoyance whereas alder tends to be flatter and more 2D.

Back