Buyer Beware?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejeannot

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160345250860&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=280360995956&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BP%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D10 Something fishy here. Gabe.

Hi,
I actually think it is a Tokai. It has the thin curved rosewood fretboard and the nut which is not at the end of the fretboard. I see a lot of details which are similar to those of my ST40, but this one has the more expensive tuners. The digits on the neck and in the cavities also look familiar. The buy it now price is low though... Anyone else?
Cheers, Herbert

Well the body stamp has no colour code,neck and body stamps don`t match.Should`nt a rosewood neck be L stamped?and I don`t think the price is good for what seems to be a90`s st40 which may or may not have changed tuners,and ceramic pickups.What does everyone else think? Gabe. ps the seller is claiming this is an early 80`s model which it clearly is not.

Assuming the tuners are Klusons, it could be the neck from an ST50 & the scratchplate & pickups from an ST40? It's strange, whatever it is. The body code still seems to be covered with paint, like the gold ST55 I sold a while back - it's probably all there if you peel the paint/masking tape off. Or maybe not....

Or maybe the whole thing is just a later model? Did they make Goldstars after the late 80s?

I would expect an L serial number on a mid 80s RW board Goldie.

All in all, it seems pricey to me. A forum member recently grabbed a SB Goldie on eBay for much less than that. ?400 is the sort of price you expect to pay for an unusual custom colour ST55.

Cavear emptor.

Mike

Back