Burny Bidding War....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gasp100

Reaction score
There are a few decent Burny's on ebay (US). I've been trying to research as much as possible, but only getting so far (lots of grey areas with this stuff). Anyway, I just picked up a Black LPC with some nice upgrades from TGP and I want another Standard style. Here is the link to the one I think "might" really be from early 80's. But I guess my question is, if I plan on replacing pickups and wiring in the future with (insert some expensive aftermarket booteek pups like WCR's, Fralin, Lollar, etc... and at least caps, maybe a complete RS style kit) should I really get caught up in a high bidding war for this one? I mean, I dig plain tops for sure and it might be a slightly higher model than others on ebay, but hot much better? It's definitely not a super rare high number FLG with nitro or anytyhing, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140312609925

Here is my second choice; definitely MIJ, but might even be from the 90's. I think the previous owner probably tried to fake people out with the truss rod cover?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260391309071

Thoughts?

Really? How can you tell so quickly? My understanding is that Burny stopped production of MIJ LP's after 1996-97. I just found this on another site.

"Dating a Burny or Fernandes can be loosely done by looking at the truss rod cover. The Gibson bell-shaped covers are found on 1970?s to early 1980?s models. The bell-shape cover with thin white band and ridges sticking out from the side are found on mid-1980s to early 1990?s models. The late 90's model to present will have the palace-shape and 3 screws truss rod covers."

I (incorrectly) assumed the truss rod cover to be some sort of third party replacement. So, even if this is MIJ -- which I sure as hell hope so for the sellers conscience -- this is definitely LATE 90's and like you said, probably even later. That's not to say it's not a decent guitar, but... I'll pass.
Well, now we are getting into higher end LP territory (Elitist with upgrades, Orville by Gibson, maybe even Gibby's). Of course I should probably just buy a Hamer and get a better guitar to start with :eek:
This is exhausting... but fun! Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140312609925

Non original items: tuners, pick guard, bridge, truss rod cover

Weight: > 9/ < 10

Pickups: looks like gray insulation covered wire later version VH-1

Finish: poly

I prefer my Burnys in more or less original condition, which this one wouldn't do for me in this regard

weight range is too wide; it could weigh 9 lb. or 10 lb.; who knows?

Personally I would pass on this one ...............................

AFA the three screw truss rod cover Burnys; I don't even go there :wink: ......................

On the first one, "might" be from the 80's is right. I would not be certain of it. I would say it's either late 80's or early 90's. Has the silver back on the pickups, what looks like, maybe a yellow cap, low script, grey wire. It's most surely not early eighties. I bet it's a nice guitar though.

Thanks fellas, you saved me some money. I'm working on a possible deal with a fellow member on his ObG LPR59... better direction to go imho.

MIJvintage said:

Non original items: tuners, pick guard, bridge, truss rod cover

Weight: > 9/ < 10

Pickups: looks like gray insulation covered wire later version VH-1

Finish: poly

I prefer my Burnys in more or less original condition, which this one wouldn't do for me in this regard

weight range is too wide; it could weigh 9 lb. or 10 lb.; who knows?

Personally I would pass on this one ...............................

AFA the three screw truss rod cover Burnys; I don't even go there :wink: ......................

I agree on the 3 screw TRC ones. I might at least see this auction out. I would think the tuners (although not original) might actually be an upgrade (if they are Grovers). I find many of these MIJ's actually NEED a new bridge to be setup/intonated correctly. Not worried about the pickguard and the TRC? Someone was probably trying to fake someone out at some point :(
It's probably a late 80's-early - mid 90's? I've heard even the later VH's are still nice pups, no? Like I said, this would probably be a modder guitar for me anyway. We'll see what happens, I really want the ObG but it IS more expensive for sure.

I guess I just bought it :eek:
I thought for sure it was going to go for a tad higher than my top bid. I did confirm with the seller the tuners are Grovers (which is an upgrade imho). I will probably dismantle this bad boy the minute I receive it. I really want to spec it as much as possible to find out exactly what model/year it is... if possible :roll:
I could see upgrading the wiring, pots, caps and most likely the pickups to something I haven't used yet like Antiquities, Seth Lovers, 57 classics. We shall see.

You won that? What happened? The seller offered it to me with free shipping. I guess I was the second high -bidder? It weighs 9 lbs probably less if i put klusons on but, why bother, the grovers work fine. It's definately a good one, plays and sounds great.

Hey Gasp How about this one. I probably would have jumped on this, if I'd seen it a week ago and had the money. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120408608046

NWOBHM said:
You won that? What happened? The seller offered it to me with free shipping. I guess I was the second high -bidder? It weighs 9 lbs probably less if i put klusons on but, why bother, the grovers work fine. It's definately a good one, plays and sounds great.

Cool, someone from here grabbed it. I had a feeling it would be nice. I guess I was in a bad mood. He quoted me $30 flat shipping (I was asking polite questions through the entire auction, he seemed a little short with me most of the time) and then after I won he said shipping was $45. Normally, I would have said no big deal but I sent a note back stating he quoted $30, then he didn't respond for a few hours. That kind of irked me.
I had a few guitars coming in already and I didn't want to mess around. Anyway, glad you like the axe, I missed out on the other one you posted too. I'm kind of going back to Epi Elitists - I bought two lately, each for less than $750 mint with OHSC and they just kill. I also grabbed an ObG LP59 reissue from here, it's going to be killer after a fret dress and some other work... I was a little disappointed that it wasn't stellar out of the box, but it has the goods. Just needs to be fixed up.

Yeah, It's hard to beat those Fujigen Les Pauls, OBG,Elitist, there all really good in my book! Burny, Tokai, Greco,Bacchus etc.... Most of the MIJ stuff is pretty good! :wink: Post a pic of that OBG!

Latest posts

Back